Saturday, May 08, 2004

So, what about words?

. . . or should we just grunt and point? Here is a word that came up at lunch today:

ram·e·kin or ram·e·quin n
1. a small ovenproof dish with vertical fluted sides designed to hold a single serving of a prepared food, especially one that is baked
2. a portion of food cooked and served in a ramekin

Rob said he was curious about the etymology of the word ramekin, I think he was right about the Dutch: [French ramequin, perhaps from Dutch dialectal rammeken, toasted bread, or from Low German ramken, diminutive of ram, cream (from Middle Low German).]

Maybe you were wondering what a ramekin looks like?



I recently started a list of new words for myself. When I hear or read a word with which I am not familiar, I write it down, look it up and add the definition to the list.

After watching a movie that Rob loaned me recently, I added this to my list:

rumpus (n)
an outcry or noisy disturbance

--and this--

obsequious (adj)
Excessively eager to please or to obey all instructions

I might of added this one after going to the theater:

scrim n
1. a drop curtain in a theater that appears opaque to the audience when lit from the front but transparent when lit from behind
2. a durable open-weave cotton or linen fabric used for curtains, clothing, upholstery lining, and in industry

No comments:

Post a Comment