Friday, May 21, 2004

New video and hundreds of photographic images

. . . about bicycling competition on OLN.

Samson gladly wakes me up during the 5 o’clock hour so that I can get my coffee and oatmeal out of the way in time to watch the coverage of the Giro d’Italia with Paul Sherwen and Phil Liggett commentating. (BTW, Bob Roll and Paul Sherwen do a nice job with the Tour de Romandie in the evenings. What does Phil Liggett do on his free evenings?)

I am about to write a note to NPR to suggest that Phil Liggett do a regular sports essay on bicycling—at least through the summer months. I think he could make the whole thing “very NPR.” And, it would rank up there with the old conversations that Bob Edwards used to have with Red Barber.



I really think that there would be more universal interest in the sport of bicycling than there is in horse racing, with all due respect to the horse named Smarty Jones. But, I don’t know anyone who knows anything about the Kentucky Derby or the Preakness. And NPR covers those. Are horseraces an east coast thing? Or, just something for old gamblers? Maybe I just don’t know the right people.

1 comment:

  1. It is very funny that the context sensitive advertising at the top of the page is now advertising products related to horseracing. Let me think: what topic should I post next to attract different advertisements?

    ReplyDelete