Monday, February 28, 2005

Las Vegas

Steve and I just returned from Las Vegas. Boy, has that place changed, and not, since I was there last. The mountains are still beautiful, the desert a mass of development and the people still searching for.....who knows what.

The Bellagio and The Venetion win for classiest place. The MGM Grand had lions on display that were fascinating to watch. The Cirque du Soliel show "O" was spectacular and impossible to describe. Thanks to Steve we actually got tickets. It's sold out for months to come but he always comes through. Paris at Bally's was nothing like Paris but a good effort. Everything else was...well, Vegas-like. Every possible way to separate you from your money Now I just need to kick that pack-a-day habit I developed beginning when I stepped off the plane Friday night. Unbelievable.

We ate lunch at Spago at Ceasars on Saturday. Sat next to Robin Leach of "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" fame. He looked like a homeless person in need of a shower. He was talking with the manager of the restaurant about "Wolf's" post-Oscar party the next day. (BTW, Wolf is what those of us "in the know" call Wolfgang Puck.) Considered inviting Robin and "Wolf" to Shannon Barger's Oscar party, but thought the better of it. We probably had more fun at her party than they did at theirs.....

4 comments:

  1. We were in Las Vegas for a wedding in 2003, I think. What I can't understand is that people want to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They don't just want to go there, they are SO EXCITED TO BE THERE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Beth states they are so excited. One woman on the elevator could not understand why anyone would want to go anywhere else. I think people in marketing understand humans better than psychologists. Vegas is as appealing as Disneyland. It creates an environment, fantasy is compelling. I am not sure I share the same fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with and enjoyed your review, Beth. I laughed at the pack-a-day comment. Remember what happens in Las Vegas stays in Las Vegas. What a dumb commercial series (the originator of that phrase). And Steve -- good one about marketing understanding humanity better than psychologists. So it would seem. Yet marketers really know how to help humans avoid their reality. Psychologists offer a path toward health and sensibility. At least, that's been my experience.

    ReplyDelete