Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Have you been worried about troubles in the subprime mortgage market? Me too. Apparently that is why the Dow Jones didn't keep going up from it's record high of 14,000, which it hit yesterday. Less than a year ago the market hit 10,000 points, which was somehow significant. (It was back in '03 too)

It's funny how little I truly know about stocks, and how finance really works. Well, funny, or scary, depending upon my mood. But it does seem strange that people who make more than a comfortable living by playing the stock market are able to celebrate hitting a new milestone in the stock market, while the economy of the middle and working class is stretched to the point of increasing foreclosures on homes, and transportation costs remaining unaffordable.

Fascinating...

2 comments:

  1. After writing this post, I had to sign up for my classes online for next semester. I got into Comm. 407, (media law) Comm. 471, (newspaper production) Comm. 334, (feature article writing) and since I was unable to get into Comm. 332 (media editing and design) I signed up for Finance 310 which is personal finance. Maybe I'll learn a thing or two about subprime mortgage what-have-yous, and home foreclosures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is never to late to understand finance stuff. I remember it has something to do with numbers.

    ReplyDelete