Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Congratulations #2! [UPDATED 3/23]

. . . to everyone competitive among us who are proud that we are now in second place for record rainfall.

Since record keeping for rainfall began in 1877, the wettest season downtown Los Angeles was in 1883-1884, when 38.18 inches fell. This rain season we have had 34.85 inches.

Congratulations to everyone. Work hard and that old rain record will fall before June 30, 2005.

UPDATE: Channel 4, LA's NBC affiliate has now updated the scores and there is less than one-inch difference between the all time record and this year's actual. GO TEAM!

Maybe Grandma Pete will post here rain gauge readings.

5 comments:

  1. I never thought I was competitive but this has me all excited. I love nature! Does that make me a liberal? Anyway, I'm so excited because if we break the record during the year I celebrate turning 50, I'll add it to my mental list of exciting things that happened. Now, if I can just figure out a way to find out if we've had 50 days of rain. That's what I call fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it rained 50 hours one day last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth informed me that we are at 110% of our 130 year average level of rain fall. We too are having record levels of rain. In fact, we may have more of a record than you have. Not being competitive, but we have more of a record than you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last rain which was on Wednesday the 22nd thru the night on my house was 3.2 inches. This makes 35.26 inches on my house in Whittier since Christmas 2004. The Daily News reports 28.88 but I don't know where in Whittier they measure. I love to be able to see how much it has been. It's sprinkling again right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 110% of average rainfall? More than a record than us?! Us Whittierites are getting more than 200% of our average rainfall.

    ReplyDelete