Fortunately for this mockingbird, I'll (for now at least) take Atticus Finch's advice to Jem and Scout literally that it is a sin to kill a mockingbird because it is innocent and is only singing for me.
Some interesting facts from various sources:
- These birds are non-migrating--so it won't be moving on soon.
- They learn more sounds/songs the older they get--maybe I can teach it something new. (Erica points out that sometimes it is singing the song of a car alarm.)
- They are very territorial and will fight off hawks, cats and people--so I'm not going out there with any bad intentions very soon.
- This is the state bird of Arkansas, Florida, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Texas, all southern states.
- Hush little baby, don't say a word,
- Mama's gonna buy you a mockingbird.
- And if that mockingbird don't sing,
- Mama's gonna buy you a diamond ring.