Sunday, February 17, 2008

Trip to Santa Cruz

www.venturacountystar.com/news/2008/feb/11/tree-sitters-perch-in-protest-at-college/

I went to Santa Cruz this weekend with my friend Christine to visit her daughter, a junior at UCSC. We had a fun time touring the very scenic campus, driving out on the pier, staring at the cute seals, gazing at the ocean and the sailboats, walking, and people watching. I'd been to Santa Cruz with Glen once upon a time. I'd never seen the university before. Part of our tour included a conversation with tree-sitting protesters dressed liked Ewoks (Star Wars forest creatures). I found this all quite interesting. The expansion they are protesting does seem costly. The news article has a good photo -- exactly what we saw as we talked to them 70 feet up. It also summarizes the situation well. I also got to hug a tree while on campus -- a beautiful redwood. I like green.

No comments:

Post a Comment