Thursday, January 03, 2008

My Big Day in Current Events

Today is a big day. The four late night hosts returned to the TV after 8 weeks off due to the Writer's Strike and the contraversial storm that brewed, the much promoted and highly acclaimed Iowa Caucus, and not one - not two - but three storms coming our way. Auntie Em! Auntie Em! Someone grab Toto and head to the cellar.

We watched part of Letterman and we flipped channels back and forth with Leno. They were clever and I appreciated hearing what they both had to say about the Writers' Strike -- an interesting situation that mildly impacts my life. Although my insight is limited and my full understanding of the negotiations is lacking, I'm siding with the writers and hurting for the people out of work while they wait. Ten writers from a variety of programs were on Letterman to do the "Top Ten" list last night -- several from The Daily Show with John Stewart and from The Colbert Report.

Then there is the Iowa Caucus! I've been to eastern Iowa several times through connections with college friends. Good for that quiet state! Stirring the political pot. The commentators are all a flutter over the impact. I haven't selected my favorites yet. It is just too early for me, though our primary is February 5. So much can change. I do have some meaningful, deep guidelines, though. I'll not vote for anyone with a really young wife, for one thing. Who's the vice presidential running mate? That's the other piece I'm waiting for. Now, I am enjoying being invited to dance -- being the election sweetheart. As a registered Independent voter, I hold one of those votes that can swing red or blue and claim all the power that entitles me, too. I expect to have the phone ringing off the hook with campaign sweet talk once we get closer to voting. Oh, joy.

Three storms?! Oh, my. I can smell that wet dog smell now. I'm excited because I love rain and have no big drives in my schedule the next few days. Let it rain! Keep those totals reporting in, Doris! Of course, destruction caused by the rain is tragic, so I hope people and property endure and stay sensible (evacuate if asked, avoid river washes or whatever they are called, drive sanely, etc.) Hope we get something worth building a cozy fire for!

No comments:

Post a Comment