Saturday, May 21, 2005

An early morning bicycle ride

This morning I got up early to meet friends for a bicycle ride. We met at 7 AM at the free parking lot near Whittier Narrows. Note that I said we met over there at 7 AM. That means I was up, had breakfast, including poached eggs and coffee before I left. That was a good time to go. It's gonna be hot today.

My two friends are investigating bicycling as a way of improving physical fitness. One of these has almost no experience riding. He is interested in improving his knowledge of bicycles and bicycle handling. I may refer him to his blog post to read your suggestions and helpful comments.

I also suggested that I would recommend some books for him to read. I think this would be a good place to start:



This would also be a good one:



Anyone have any further suggestions?


NOTE: Rosemead Blvd. is close due to "major bridge damage" south of Durfee. I rode across anyway at great risk of peril and survived.

There are a couple of newsgroups about cycling, the ones I know of are geography specific, like SoCalCylding and bikepaths both at Yahoo Groups.

2 comments:

  1. I thought the in thing was to trade your bike in for a motorcycle once your 50ish. I could go for an early morning ride then, well relatively early 9ish. This is the "ish" comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the New Cyclist book. I suppose I should read it now.

    ReplyDelete