Monday, January 24, 2005

Troubled Town

Helicopters circle in the air nearby. News stations are covering the latest shooting about 2 miles from here. Two men have been shot. That's all they know so far. I'm not even sure if the victims survived.

It's troubling because it is so close. A young Subway worker was shot and killed about a month ago within the same radius from our home. Someone else was shot at the alternative high school within the last few weeks within this loop. Several years ago a former neighbor boy was killed while his friend was playing with a gun at home, less than a mile from here.

So what is troubling? Guns trouble me. No apologies to the NRA. Violence is troubling. Random violence is more troubling. And the frequency is troubling. The reality of it all going down locally is troubling. I live in a decent urban neighborhood. I love so much about it. The news can wake me up to the dark side that coexists in our area -- all areas. God's providencial power holds me, and I don't feel personal fear. For that I am grateful.


No comments:

Post a Comment