Wednesday, April 15, 2009

In keeping with our recent string of nature themed posts... have you ever noticed some bees have yellow growths on their legs?

yellow

I assumed it was some sort of mark to indicate a gender, or maybe it was exclusive to some species. But upon searching the Web (which rocks for these kinds of things, according to Cindi) I learned that this is where the worker bee stores his pollen, utilizing specially arranged hairs on his leg.

I am working on specially arranging my leg hairs for easy storage of the food I find in the shopping carts at Target.

4 comments:

  1. Great photo! Let me know how the hair bag works out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck. May I call you Buzz? FYI -- Worker bees are non-reproductive females. Career bees, of sorts. The males are drones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, you're saying the lady bees don't shave their legs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hm. that is all just weird.

    ReplyDelete