Monday, November 29, 2004

Gift Giving Fun

After a fine Thanksgiving dinner at Mom Pete's, we put the names of all participants in a bowl and drew pairings for our Christmas Eve Gift Giving tradition. Giving to another is an art and a skill.

The skill is in the head...the act of getting a gift...getting to know another person to discover their tastes, preferences, and interests. It also includes the strategy of buying something appropriate within budget (or sometimes not..."The Gift of the Magi" I think tells that well...if that's the one about the poor couple and a hair cut, so to speak). Getting it wrapped and into the hands of the loved one also takes some planning...skill...training.

The art is in the heart...the act of giving. That comes from deep within. The ability to share and sometimes sacrifice willingly to encourage another with a thoughtful gesture---big or small, a tangible item or an act of kindness. That takes a bigger person. That comes through personal growth and a broader perspective (and an income/work??!!).

The ultimate gift for me is in Jesus. God sent Him to pay the price for my shortcomings, so that I can be reconciled to a perfect, loving God. When I accepted that gift, when I realized I could not measure up my way and need Christ to help me make sense of it all, I began to understand giving because I care...no expectations.

Now, getting a gift is still such fun! And giving is a blessing to both the giver and the person receiving the gift. We celebrate the ultimate gift at Christmas...Christ birth on earth to reach us for God. We continue the tradition of "gifting" in our family. Here are the pairings for this year.

  1. Doris gives to Andrew
  2. Glen gives to Richard
  3. Audrey gives to Glen
  4. Beth gives to Jane
  5. Cindi gives to Audrey
  6. Steve gives to Doris
  7. Richard gives to Beth
  8. Jane gives to David
  9. David gives to Kyle
  10. Andrew gives to Steve
  11. Kyle gives to Cindi

Conversations with each other help determine what each person wants. The famblog and e-mail also can connect us for information gathering. Have fun! I look forward to seeing us together soon. This remains an optional voluteer activity.

We haven't set a price limit. If anyone would like to do that, we can discuss that. Also, we can give to others in the family as well, if we wish. Just have fun. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment