Sunday, December 18, 2005

Narnia

Beth, Kyle and I saw the movie yesterday. I was the only one of the three who had not read the book. I think my reaction to the movie was governed by my impressions of Britain during WWII. The focus on males and females uniting for a common cause, being exposed to danger and evil as a child, using fantasy toward imagining a time without turmoil, sacrifice based on selflessness, and forgiveness of our human frailty. I thought of the children and what beliefs they would need to survive the loss of family, home and peers. The children were believable in their struggle to accommodate to the rupture in their lives. The conflict between being safe and the relief that comes for doing something heroic. The rush to save the brother who is trying to retrieve the picture of dad while mom and sister vainly try to protect them brought this point to life early in the movie.

2 comments:

  1. I was impressed by how the kids had to be all grown up--first in real life, then in Narnia. Oh, I think Narnia is just as "real." I, too, liked how they worked out the forgiveness deal with Peter, then with Azlan and the whole sacrafice thing.

    Thanks for pointing out the early scene of going back for that picture. I hadn't thought of that. Good point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, I meant Edmund.

    We saw it again (second time) tonight with the Remingtons (first time) and Doris (second time).

    ReplyDelete