Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Brown-Out New Year's Day

At about 11:00 on January 2, our TV went off and the lights went dim. It stayed that way until around midnight. We unplugged major electrical items, manually lit the gas stove to make soup, beans, and hot dogs for lunch, and camped out. Friends Jeff & Erica were over. We had an old-fashioned day by the fire...reading, naps, played a game, snacked, scrapbooked, and talked. No music. No TV. We did manage to watch the Rain Pa---I mean Rose Parade prior to this. Many days I cry out for a simpler time, but I almost got bored in the mood lighting. Lots of candles were safely burning, too. I think being over 40 makes it a challenge to read in low light anyway. At sunset, we walked to Jeff & Erica's (a block away) for pizza and a DVD. Their power was fine. The storm was something else! The wind was so strong at times, I was ready to see if our house had fallen on the wicked witch. Glad it was a holiday. Since we both us computers for work, that could have been a problem.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i too lost power on new year's eve between 10pm and 11. then, again on monday night, the lights went completely out, but this time they stayed out until past 11pm tuesday night, more than 24 hours. 'twas kind of a drag, i found myself out haunting the neighborhood, trying to remedy my boredom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monday really was a strange day. We all get caught up in our own problems and don't know what is going on with others. My back yard fence was nearly flattened and is now propped up with an aluninum stepladder and a piece of lumber left from one of Glen's projects. I think a 2by 2. Doug finally came on Wednesday and will give me an estimate on doing something with the posts.

    I was so concerned with the beech tree belonging to my neighbor that fell on the little short fence in the front and covering half of my driveway that I didn't see the fence at first. I really got wet while trying to get it up. The wind was blowing from all directions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But, how much rain was measured in your rain gage?

    ReplyDelete